Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year... but it can also be one of the most stressful times of the year, which is why it is so important to get ahead of the game- especially when it comes to the Christmas feast.
With this turkey gravy recipe, you can prepare the base of the gravy up to two days ahead! And then on the big day, all you need to do is to add the roasted meat juices and heat it up before serving!
- 1 tbsp Roast Potato Oil
- 1 tsp of Roast Dinner Dust
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp of plain flower
- 850ml of homemade or bought chicken/ turkey stock
- On the day add the juices from the turkey (for even more added flavour, use our Roast Turkey Rub).
- Salt & pepper
- First, heat the Roast Potato Oil in a non-stick pan and fry the onion, carrot and bay leaf, stirring frequently until the onion goes brown.
- Stir in the flour, then pour in the stock while you stir. Add the Roast Dinner Dust and season. Allow it to simmer for around 15- 20 minutes and then take out/ discard the bay leaf. If you want, use a hand blender to pureé the gravy until it is completely smooth. Remove from heat and allow it to cool before putting it in the fridge.
- On the day, take the turkey out from the oven and pour the juices from the tin into jug or a bowl. Leave it to stand so that the excess oil and fat from the turkey rises to the top- skim off as much as you can and discard. Pour the juices into a pan with the gravy base and stir together over the heat until it is bubbling. Season to taste and then pour into gravy boat or jug ready to serve.
Why not enhance the taste of the turkey and the turkey gravy even more by using our delicious and fragrant Roast Turkey Rub.
You can buy it on its own or as part of the Christmas Roast Dinner Kit which includes everything you could possibly need to make your Christmas a truly flavourful experience.