A great way to use up that glut of tomatoes at the end of the summer. Slow cooked on the BBQ to get an intense and smoky flavour. Serve these tomatoes with grilled bread or use as a topping for homemade pizzas!
Chef's tip: If you have loads of tomatoes you can add them to a sealable jar and cover with oil to preserve them.
Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 90 minutes
- Cut all the tomatoes in half and season with salt
- Place into a tray. Add oil, fresh herbs and black pepper. Add the garlic and toss. Leaving the tomatoes skin side down in the tray.
- Light BBQ using British charcoal with the charcoal to one side of the BBQ. You will be cooking away from the direct heat for this recipe.
- Add some soaked wood chunks to the edge of the lit charcoal to start smoking. We used oak for this recipe
- Cook indirectly away from the heat for 1-2 hours. Aiming to cook at around 120c. Lid closed
- Top up with wood and charcoal if needed
- You can be cooking other food on the BBQ as the tomatoes cook. We had ours on the top shelf away from the heat for around 90 mins. The idea is to slowly roast the tomatoes whilst picking up some smoke and intensify the flavour
- Once ready we added some fresh rosemary so the tomatoes picked up some extra herby oil.
- Season if needed and serve]