This Damson Gin recipe is the perfect winter warmer drink for the upcoming Christmas period. Perfect accompaniment to your Christmas roast or maybe on Christmas Eve, next to the fire.
This Gin recipe is intended for those dedicated gin lovers and are happy to prepare this a couple of months in advance of Christmas. This recipe only takes 10 minutes to prepare and then just leave for around 2 months to turn itself into a delicious and rich Christmas tipple.
- 900g damsons (damaged ones removed)
- 700g sugar
- 1500ml gin (two bottles)
- Large sealable jars with lids
- Fine muslin or sieve.
- Wash, then freeze the damsons in a bag. Defrost, then bash a little in the bag so they split.
- Put them into a sterilised jar or container with a sealable lid, layering with the sugar as you go.
- Fill with fruit and sugar until about halfway up the jar.
- Top up with gin to the brim of the jar.
- Shake every other day for two months so all the sugar gets properly dissolved.
- Strain through fine muslin or sieve and decant into bottles of your choice.
Tip: once the damson gin has been decanted, reserve the fruit, top up with sherry and leave to macerate for a couple of months and drink
Let us know how you get on by sharing a pic on our social pages and tag us.
Looking for ways to make your Christmas feast spectacular this year? Feel free to check out our other Christmas Recipes, including our recipe for Irish Cream Liqueur, our recipe for making the Perfect Roast Potatoes, and our recipe for making the most succulent Christmas Roast Turkey!