This Damson Gin recipe is the perfect drink to warm you up on those colder days. A perfect accompaniment to a hearty roast or maybe whilst chilling next to the fire.
This Gin recipe is intended for those dedicated gin lovers and are happy to prepare this a couple of months in advance to drinking. This recipe only takes 10 minutes to prepare; then just leave for around 2 months to turn itself into a delicious and rich tipple.
Chef's Tip: once the damson gin has been decanted, reserve the fruit, top up with sherry and leave to macerate for a couple of months and drink
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 900g damsons (damaged ones removed)
- 700g sugar
- 1500ml gin (two bottles)
- Large sealable jars with lids
- Fine muslin or sieve.
- Wash, then freeze the damsons in a bag. Defrost, then bash a little in the bag so they split.
- Put them into a sterilised jar or container with a sealable lid, layering with the sugar as you go.
- Fill with fruit and sugar until about halfway up the jar.
- Top up with gin to the brim of the jar.
- Shake every other day for two months so all the sugar gets properly dissolved.
- Strain through fine muslin or sieve and decant into bottles of your choice.
Let us know how you get on by sharing a pic on our social pages and tag us, @rossandrossgifts