This mincemeat recipe is perfect for filling your mince pies with and using as a Christmas treat, throughout the day. Or, you can use as buffet food for any Christmas parties you may be hosting. This recipe is for those real foodies', who are willing to prepare this recipe a month in advance for Christmas. This recipe takes about 15 minutes to prepare and then 4-6 weeks to mature.
Recipe updated and improved November 2022
- 250g dried beef suet
- 350g bramley apples (peeled, cored, small dice)
- 150g currants
- 100g dried cranberries
- 200g dried orange peel
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 lemon (zest & juice)
- 1 medium orange (zest & juice)
- 100ml spiced rum (we used Jester British Spiced Rum from Shakespeare Distillery)
- 100g blanched almonds (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp of salt, nutmeg, mace, cloves
- 1 tsp mixed spice, cinnamon
- 150g raisins
- 150g dark soft brown sugar
- 100g sultanas
- 100ml apple brandy (we used 3 yr British Apple Brandy from Hogans
- Large Bowl
- Sealable jars (3 large)
- Chopping board
- Sterilise the jars in a hot oven for 10 minutes.
- Mix all ingredients into a large bowl except about half of the rum and brandy.
- Pack into the jars up to the top.
- Pour the remaining booze on top, then seal and store in a cool dark place for 4 -6 weeks.
*Tip* Why not use filo pastry to make your mince pies? Serve hot with a dollop of brandy cream!
Let us know how you get on by sharing your creation and tagging us on social media @rossandrossgifts
Looking for ways to make your Christmas feast spectacular this year? Feel free to check out our other Christmas Recipes, including our Chutney Recipe, our recipe for making the Perfect Roast Potatoes, and our recipe for making the most succulent Christmas Roast Turkey!