This vegan Asparagus, Tomato & Tofu Quiche recipe is meat-free, dairy-free and perfect to pack for a picnic or bring to a garden party. It's made with a super creamy, high protein tofu filling and with a gluten-free oat and almond base. A delicious, summery dish!
Ingredients:Makes one large quiche For the quiche base -
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 4 tbsp dairy-free butter or coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp aquafaba
- 1-3 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp Ross & Ross Veggie Rub No.2
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 500g firm organic tofu, chopped
- 5-6 tbsp dairy-free milk of choice
- One leek, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 handfuls spinach
- Large handful fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- Pinch chilli flakes (to taste)
- 1 tsp oregano
- Bunch asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Start by making your base. Preheat your oven to 180C, then lightly grease a loose-bottomed tart tin.
- Stir together all ingredients for the base until well combined. Add a touch more milk, if needed, to make the mixture stick together as a 'dough'. Press firmly into the base of the tart tin, working the dough up the sides. Prick dough all over with a fork, then place in the oven to bake for 10-13 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Make your filling by blending together the tofu and milk until smooth, but not runny - the mixture needs to be thick. Set aside.
- Add a splash of oil to a large frying pan and heat. Add in the leek and garlic and fry, stirring often, for a few minutes. Add in the spinach and basil and cook until the spinach has wilted. Stir in the tofu mixture, along with the Nutritional Yeast, chilli flakes and oregano. Stir and heat until well combined. Season to taste.
- Spoon the tofu mixture over your cooked base, smoothing down with the back of a spoon. Press the asparagus and tomato halves into the quiche, then place in the oven to bake for around 30 minutes, or until the quiche is firm on top. Allow to stand for five or so minutes - or until completely cool - before slicing and enjoying.
Let us know how you get on! We'd love to see your pictures and comments on social media.